Pages

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Little things that make me happy

I was thinking this again last week: there are some little things that make me very happy whenever I happen to do them.
One of them is how my white everyday china sparkles when I've done the dishes.
Another one is how cosy it feels to slip into a freshly made bed.
And when I finally got round to continuing with a crafts project I've been putting off for ages! It's just sheer and utter bliss!

Why does it take so long and so much effort to do things whose outcome I know I'll enjoy enormously? Just how contrary as people are we that we struggle with stuff that we don't enjoy, and then we don't do the things we actually enjoy either??  What is that all about?

How very odd.

It doesn't take long to wash up a couple of dishes in order to bask in how sparkling and fresh they look.  And feel satisfaction from an achievement.  I suspect that the 'china question' has something to do with whether the sun is out or not.  On a gloomy, miserable day you can't exactly see that sparkle, can you?  Also: everything seems to take so much more effort to get going with if it's a grey and unwelcoming day outside.

There is another little thing that I really enjoy: I wanted to buy a chain of fairy lights just before Christmas last year to put up.  Couldn't find any.  But I found some branches (painted white) with fairy lights on.  I stuck those in a nice glass vase, a generously big cylinder with a nice rim, - and placed them on a window sill.  I love seeing them twinkle after it gets dark, it just gives my heart a warm glow - if that doesn't sound too soppy.  Yes, it does, but who cares. Right?

I think I'd like to do things like that more often.  It'll be fun.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love feedback! I'd love to know what you think.