Pages

Sunday 7 January 2018

Another blog post that I started in 2012.

I just came across a brilliant quote: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - said by Yogi Berra, a US baseball player who coined quite a few often used phrases.  His most famous and most often used phrase is: 'it ain't over till it's over'.  I didn't know he said it.


They are often interpreted as malapropisms but I can't agree to see it just like that.  Some of the time accidental bon mots are a lot deeper. A fork in the road: whatever route you go, it is much better than not 'taking it'.  It's got to be the worst thing to be stuck at a decision and not know which way to turn.

It's not easy to listen to your inner voice that can help you figure out what it is exactly that you want to do.  Some of the time we seem to be utterly out of touch with that wise guide.  At other times we think we ought not to listen to it or get stuck with a multitude of facts that we think we ought to consider before we set off on any course of action.

That's not how human beings work though.  We would like to think of ourselves as sensible, rational beings.  People who make up their minds after careful consideration and mulling over of all the pros and cons.  Yeah, right, as if.

We don't.  Lots of times we make a gut decision and go with that, only rationalising it later.

- -

I seem to have lost track of what I was trying to say.  A bit like wandering around in the wilderness looking for a path.  That reminds me: there was a second quote I read on Twitter today that I really liked: "Searcher, there is no road. We make the road by walking." (Antonio Machado, from a 1912 poem by him) - I don't know if I'd be comfortable feeling myself traipsing about on completely untrodden ground, that sounds downright scary.

But if the road we walk is the path we take throughout our lives, then this is indeed new territory as we go, otherwise we'd be lemmings.  Nah, thanks.
This quote really struck me as something I'd like to mull over a bit.  I wonder if I am approaching a fork but I haven't quite gotten to it yet.  That's why this blog post sounds so theoretical.

Oh well, hey ho. Food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love feedback! I'd love to know what you think.